COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Due to the impact of Covid-19 (Coronavirus), the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority has closed its headquarters, visitor attractions (Carew Castle, Castell Henllys and Oriel y Parc), its car parks and sections of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path until further notice. All meetings and events are cancelled until further notice. If you have any queries please call 01646 624800 or email

Cookie Information: To help us make this website better, the cookie settings are set to 'allow all cookies'. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this - for more information and to change this at any time, see our privacy policy.   

Home » Living In » Planning » Planning Advice » Before You Apply

Before You Apply

Before you carry out any work there are a number of important matters you need to consider.

The following gives an outline of the matters that should be considered. 

Pre-application Advice

Before submitting a formal planning application you can ask the planning department for their informal views on the work you wish to do.

Such discussions are encouraged as they can often speed up the application process, encourage and support good schemes and help to keep your costs down.

Building Control

Building Control (the need to meet the requirements of Building Regulations) and Planning (the need to meet Planning Legislation) are separate forms of legislation. For many forms of development, BOTH are required before work can commence.

For developments within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park area, Planning is administered by the National Park Authority and Building Control by Pembrokeshire County Council.

Permitted Development

Some minor building works to houses can be carried out without the need to obtain planning permission - this is called "permitted development".

The rights cover such things as small extensions, porches, garden walls, satellite dishes and oil tanks.

Flats and maisonettes do not have these permitted rights and some houses, especially small new houses or houses that are conversions from other uses have had these rights removed.

The rules governing "permitted development" are complicated and are also changed by the Government from time to time. It is always advisable to seek advice before carrying out any changes.

Seeking pre-application advice can save time and help resolve any problems at an early stage.